A New Beginning

So this year Dr. Taylor made me sixth grade administrator.  I was looking forward to it after being on the eighth grade hall for a few years.  I liked eighth grade because I’d had the chance to get to know the students for a period of two years, so they knew what to expect from me, and I knew what to expect from them.  The relationship was there, and oftentimes I ended up coaching the students through tough choices, and also giving consequences when they were warranted.  We visited colleges, went to Savannah, had a blast at the eighth grade ball, and I just really enjoyed seeing them grow and mature throughout the year.  But this year has already been….something different.

I immediately realized why I’m on sixth grade.  It’s a COMPLETELY different monster of a task to manage them.  The first challenge was lockers.  If I’d had hair on the day the received them, I’m sure I would have pulled all of it out, and hence, I had to implement my first trait for the year- patience.  You see, sixth graders are nothing like eighth graders.  They like to play around, and they are very needy.  I had to learn this quickly if I’d planned on having a successful year.  The thing is, they learned this about me to.  I had to give consequences to one student, but I visited him in our timeout to help him with some work, and something ignited in him.  He was able to see that I still cared about him, even though I’d given him the consequences.  Now, every time he sees me, he runs up to me and has a story for me.  It’s the funniest thing, but I have to remind him that we can’t take away from his class time to talk about other things.  In writing this, I see that I have to make more of an effort to engage in conversation with him during off peak times, such as lunch or breakfast.  I’m sure it would mean a lot to him.

In the end, I think being a dad has prepared me for this year.  My son asks me a thousand questions, and my students also ask me a thousand questions.  My son sometimes gets sad faces on his daily report, and we have to talk about the day to make sure he understands why he wasn’t able to get a purple happy face.  My students sometimes get sad faces (not really sad faces, but you get the point) from me, and I have to explain why they have to get a consequence.  The biggest thing about leading is helping them understand that their choices have a huge impact on their future, even at sixth grade.  When students come to sit before me in my office, I always pull up their discipline history and show it to them.  If it’s clear, I always say, “Now, you know the appropriate thing to do because you’ve never been in the principal’s office, have you?”  They normally respond with teary eyes, and I say, “There’s no need for tears, but I expect more out of you.  Do you want to destroy your clean discipline record?” and the conversation continues from there.  If I student comes with discipline history, I ask them if they know what a reputation is.  Most times, they don’t, and I tell them to come back to me on the next day to explain what it is.  Normally, the student will find me before the end of the day and tell me that reputation is a belief about someone.  I then ask them, “So based on your discipline history, what do you think people believe about you?  Is that what you want the story of your life to be?  Middle school is your opportunity for a new start, and it’s up to you to make it.  Are you up for the challenge?”

I’m wondering what type of impact 10 months will have on me and these students.  Will they be better in the 7th grade because of their interactions with me?  Will they go home with a smile on their faces because of something I said?  Will they eventually leave Carver Road Middle School knowing that I care about them?  Hopefully so.  At least, that’s my intention.

With #2185Pride,

Dr. G.

3 Comments Add yours

1. TThomas says:

I do believe you are spot on with your descriptions of 6th grade middle schoolers, and I think the way you are interacting with them is awesome. Every child needs that one adult who cares about them enough to praise them when they are right, but also correct them when they are wrong. It appears that you will be that one for many 6th graders this year!

Best wishes for a great school year!

1. Thanks Mrs. Thomas!
      I wish the same for you as well!

Dr. G.

2. Dr. Taylor says:

My One Word last year was “grow.” I set out to grow as a leader both personally and professionally. With that, I make it my responsibility to push myself and others out of the comfort zone in order to grow them. I read a quote today that reminds me of this: “Normality is a paved road. It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers GROW on it.” By Vincent Van Gogh

Keep growing! A flower garden awaits you!