What Drives Your Work?

Growing up, I had teachers and administrators that recognized my potential and made sure that I could use that light to change my situation.  I grew up in poverty, meaning we didn’t have the financial means to do a lot, but what we lacked in financials, I always had in love.  And because so many people saw my potential at an early age, I was always pushed to do great work.

I mistakenly became an educator after working as a front end manager at Sam’s Club for a few years.  My purpose wasn’t being fulfilled in retail, and I decided to embark upon the journey of working with students.  I’d had important teachers that helped to shape my life, and I hoped to be that person for other people.  I quickly realized that I was needed, as the community I began serving was a bit broken, and many of the students, mostly the young males, needed some guidance.  I pledged to fill that gap, and soon after, I was able to find my purpose and begin making a difference in the lives of those around me.

My work is driven by the belief that education is a great equalizer.  My role is to help others see this and have them work to break generational curses and set new paths for their futures.  I also want to make sure that I bring light to the spaces where I am.  Schools deserve good leaders, and leaders deserve people who can help them see how they impact the space they are in.  I want to be that person.