Say Yes Sir

If you think about it long enough, you’ll realize that schools are interesting places.  They are meant for students to learn content, but you also have to acknowledge that both kids and adults learn a lot about life and a lot about themselves through their day to day interactions with one another, whether positive or negative.

I’ve been at the middle school where I work now for four years.  Three of those years have been during the age of Covid, so I feel like I can multiply those years by two.  The things that I’ve experienced running a building of individuals while trying to prioritize safety, instruction, protocols, all while inserting the appropriate amount of love, balance, and expectation have helped me both personally and professionally.  I’m certain that others have experienced the same, and it’s important to acknowledge those things.  We’re a part of some interesting research that scholars will write about and have as topics of dissertations in the future, and I’m glad to be in the number.  I can’t wait to read it.

Today, I was what we call the “runner” on our admin team.  Our assistant principals facilitated PLCs today, and I was tasked with putting out any fires that came about throughout the day.  I didn’t have to deal with too many issues today, but the issues I did deal with helped me recognize the importance of collective efficacy and expectations.  I’ve said since I arrived at my school, “Lives are at stake.”  That prompts a sense of urgency, and in my mind, it’s a reminder that we, as educators, have to model what our students can grow into, and we also have to pull the wagon.  In an interview with Oprah, Steve Harvey mentioned how a team pulling the wagon is hard, but it can be easy if everyone does their parts.  If someone is in the wagon with their feet up, their just adding weight.  If someone is dragging their legs instead of pushing, then it slows down the progress of the wagon.  But if everyone is pushing, not even at the same rate or with the same effort- just pushing period- then the wagon can get to where it needs to be.  The image of the wagon has been with me for four years, and things get revealed to me that help me understand the wagon is still moving.  I consider these to be reaffirming moments.

I want to tell you about an issue I dealt with almost at the end of the day.  There were three students with me, one who has been with us for less than two weeks.  Now, I have to let you know that when I deal with disciplinary issues, I ask a lot of questions.  My goal is to see if the student knows what he or she has done wrong, where things went wrong, and what the resolution should’ve been in that moment. I brought the students up to the conference room, already knowing what had happened because the teacher told me before we left the room.  I asked the new student, “What was going on with you.”  He told me his story.  My follow up question was, “Do you think the teacher was correct in the response she gave you?”  His reply was, “Yeah.”  I looked at the other two students and cleared my throat.  I asked the new student another question, and he again replied, “Yeah.”  I put my pen down and stopped taking notes.  One of the other students said, “Say yes sir, bruh.”  The new student replied, “Oh, ok….my bad.  Yes sir.”  We spent the next five minutes with me giving advice, capturing details and letting them know what I expected of them.  My job was done here because there was an expectation that I’ve tried hard to pass on in reference to there being a certain amount of respect that one gives to another person.  I didn’t have to say anything….the tribe corrected our new member so he knew our modes of operation, and I was okay with that.  School leaders oftentimes let small moments like this pass them by.  They get caught up in the camaraderie of dealing with adults and students along with the hysteria of the day to day operations without reveling in what important lessons they were able to impart throughout the day.  It’s all important, and it all serves a purpose that we have to capture and process.

My focus for the rest of this month is maintaining consistency and helping people see how important it is to set kids up for success.  I’m reminded that all of us, even teachers, have had different experiences when we were students, and those experiences play a major role in how we deal with students.  The guiding question now is asking ourselves, “Were kids lives impacted in a positive way today because they were able to engage with me?”  When we let that drive what we do, the opportunities are endless.  That’s my focus and my prayer.  So as God keeps guiding me day by day, I’ll say “Yes, sir” to Him and continue to refine my focus.  That’s the only way we keep moving the wagon….the only way we impact the lives that we’ve been entrusted to impact.  And that, my friends, is something to get excited about.

Be accountable.  Be committed.

Dr. G.